Wellbeing - Recipes
Asparagus and Pea Risotto (serves 4)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
250g risotto rice (cooked weight)
500ml stock - vegetable or chicken
2 tablespoons dry vermouth (optional)
About 14 spears (140g) fresh or frozen asparagus
200g frozen petit pois, defrosted
50g fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Freshly ground black peper
350g cherry tomatoes to serve
- Heat the oil in a non-stick saute pan and gently fry the onion.
- Add the risotto rice and stir round to coat, with the oil and onion mixture.
- Add half of the stock and the vermouth, stiring as you add.
- Add the remianing stock and allow to simmer for around 15 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, adding more water to help if necessary.
- Meanwhile cut the asparagus into 2cm lengths, and if using fresh asparagus steam for 5 minutes.
- Stir the peas and asparagus into the risotto, and heat until they are hot and the rice is tender.
- Serve at once with the tomatoes, plenty of black pepper and sprinkle with parmesan.
Approximate nutrition analysis per portion:
- Energy kcal = 354
- Salt = 1g
- Fat = 6g
- Fibre = 5.1g
- Medium GI
Remember - look out for:
Five a day - How to reach your five a day target!
- Snack on fruit/nuts (in moderation) if you are feeling hungry between meals
- Drink fresh juice or smoothies for your breakfast.
- Add pulses/beans to curries and soups.
- Add salad to sandwiches.
- Incorporate vegetables within your lunch, snacking or main meal at least 3 portions.
- Use the water from your cooked vegetables to add to your gravy.
- Add fruit, nuts to your breakfast cereal.
Please Email to, or Share this with your friends...